Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Small Town

11x14, oil on canvas panel

I grew up in a smaller town, probably around 30,000 at the time, but my hometown looks like the Big City compared to this little town,  Yes, that's it!  I don't remember any more buildings.

I have grown accustomed to painting mostly small canvases, so even 11x14 is bigger for me.  I think I missed the mark on this and may do another one.  I am happy
with some of the passages in this painting, but the overall look is not quite
what I wanted.  Also, I believe the drawing is a little off.

Painting is a learning experience.  Rarely does an artist do as well as he wants to do.  One reason is that our critiquing skills are always ahead of our painting skills.  I think
of each painting I do as an exercise and a practice session.  That keeps it worthwhile
for me, so rather than feel dejected, I know that every time I paint I improve a little!

3 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Connie, This is a sweet painting. I know what you mean, painting is HARD. I love it so and I like you think we grow with the struggles. I painted two yesterday, the first one was a joy to paint the second one I wiped off. I guess if it was easy it might not interest us so much.

Connie said...

Thank you, Barbara. Your last sentence is SO TRUE!

Angela Sullivan said...

Your paintings are georgeous. Love them all.

 
view sourceprint? 01 09 10