Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Garden Center


8x10, oil on canvas panel


If you have been reading this blog for a few months, you know that I love to garden. This is a painting of one of the local, not big box, plant nurseries. This year I decided to spend as little money as possible on my garden. I have rooted plants, divided plants, and gotten extra daylilies from generous gardeners. It's been lots of fun.


One thing that I really like about this painting is the contrast of value around the umbrella, which is the center of interest. Then I "pulled out" some dim shapes in the murky areas to add interest. Us painters are forever trying new ways to paint and striving for improvement. I have never met a painter, and I have met some awesome ones, who felt they had arrived and didn't need to improve any more.

No comments:

 
view sourceprint? 01 09 10